Tehaleh Community Families: As new homes within the Tehaleh community are built, the district is working to verify resident school districts for each individual home. Click here for instructions on how to determine if your home is located in Sumner-Bonney Lake School District or Orting School District.
Attendance Waiver Application Deadline: Jan. 21
Waiver applications for the 2022-23 school year must be submitted between Dec. 13, 2021 and Jan. 21, 2022 for optimal consideration. Applications submitted after Jan. 21 may be considered if it's determined that grade level and building capacity allows. Find waiver application timeline, considerations and types of waivers below.
Begin the six-step online waiver application here.
2022-23 Waiver Application Timeline
- December 13, 2021 – January 21, 2022: All waiver applications must be submitted during this timeframe for consideration.
- March 25, 2022: Building and/or District staff will have made decisions regarding waiver request(s) and families will be notified of decision by this date. If a new waiver application is still incomplete at the end of the waiver window, January 21, 2022, the student’s waiver will be denied and the student will need to register at their resident school. Please note: Students looking to renew a waiver will not be allowed to choose next year’s classes and/or receive a schedule until the waiver is approved.
- June 17, 2022: If a waiver application is submitted after the initial deadline, the application will be held and decisions will be made by June 17, 2022. At that time, the application may be considered if it has been determined the grade level and building capacity can allow. If a decision cannot be determined at that time, the application will be held until the third submission timeframe.
- September 13, 2022: If a waiver application was submitted after June 17, 2022 (last day of school), it will be held and decisions will be made by September 13, 2022. At that time, the application may be considered if it has been determined the grade level and building capacity can allow.
Timeline for Waiver Consideration
The District reviews waiver application three times a year after all resident enrollment has been considered and processed.
Waiver Applications are considered on a first-come, first-served basis and are based on the following criteria:
- Building Enrollment Capacity
- Discipline Record
- Academic Performance
- Attendance Record
- Student’s academic programs of interest as identified on the waiver application.
Residents of the Sumner-Bonney Lake School District applying for a waiver will receive consideration before out-of-district applications.
Students attending a school on a waiver do not receive District transportation to/from school. For middle and high school students, the “activity bus” is not available for transportation home.
For questions, please contact District Administration at (253) 891-6005.
Types of Waivers
Intra-District (In-District) Waiver:
Resident students who wish to attend a school other than their resident school must complete the Intra-District (in-district) Waiver Application. In-District Waiver Applications are not required each year for continued attendance unless transitioning to another school. (Example: Elementary to Middle School or Middle School to High School).
Inter-District (Out-of-District) Waiver:
For students residing outside of the Sumner-Bonney Lake School District Attendance Boundaries, an Inter-District (out-of-district) Waiver Application is required. A Choice Transfer Request (Release of Attendance form) from the resident district is also required with the Out-of-District Waiver Application. Out-of-District Waiver Applications are required each year for continued attendance.
*For students wanting to transfer out of the Sumner-Bonney Lake School District, use the following: Choice Transfer Request. Note: This link can also be used for families wishing to transfer into the Sumner-Bonney Lake School District. All families looking to waiver out of SBLSD or into SBLSD must complete a Choice Transfer form. There are a few districts who are not using this system. If you do not see your district listed, contact your district office directly.