Welcome to the Sumner-Bonney Lake School District!
To enter kindergarten, your student must be five years old on or before August 31.
The kindergarten program in the Sumner Bonney Lake School District provides children a foundation for academic success and develops an enthusiasm for life-long learning. Student outcomes are standards-based and focus on the whole child: academically, socially, emotionally, and physically.
Before school begins, kindergarten teachers will meet with families to get to know the students, their families, and their stories. Additionally, teachers evaluate students in many areas to determine students' strengths. This helps teachers plan a program based on the needs of the children.
The developmentally appropriate learning environment provides substantial opportunities to learn through purposeful play that honors student choice and provides teacher-guided, interactive small-group, and large group experiences. The kindergarten school year is an important time to provide students with rich, relevant learning experiences that allow them to reach goals that are both challenging and achievable regardless of their varied experiences and backgrounds upon entering kindergarten.
Top 5 things to know for incoming kindergarteners
1. REGISTER: The registration process is easy and it’s all online at www.sumnersd.org/register.
2. VIRTUAL TOURS: We invite you to get to know us -- virtually. Watch videos to meet your teachers and principals with a sneak peek inside your school.
3. JUMPSTART* August 17-21: Incoming kinders meet teachers and adjust to the school setting with an introduction to kindergarten skills. Reserve your spot at https://bit.ly/KinderJumpStart. *As health guidelines allow; transportation not provided
4. FAMILY CONNECTIONS: One-on-one time for the teacher, student and parents to meet and get to know each other. Your school will be in touch to arrange a Family Connection meeting for a specific date and time during September 8-10.
5. IMMUNIZATIONS: Washington state's school immunization law requires documentation of immunization at the time of school registration. A Certificate of Immunization Status (CIS), signed by the parent/guardian, must be on file at the school on or before the student's first day of school. Learn more.
Information Nights & Events
Kindergarten activities, tours, and parent information sessions are scheduled by schools in spring and late summer before school begins. These events provide you an opportunity to learn more about your school, the enrollment process and much more. We invite you to learn about your school and kindergarten teachers virtually.
Early Entrance to Kindergarten
Although the Sumner-Bonney Lake School District does not encourage early entry for the vast majority of students, application for testing for early entrance is available at parent expense for students who turn 5 between September 1 and October 1. Learn more about Early Entrance.