Students Experiencing Homelessness

  • student waiting to get on school bus  
    Homeless Liaison 
    Josh Agpalza
    Phone Number
    (253) 891-6053
    The McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act, a provision No Child Left Behind, is the federal law that entitles children who are homeless to a free, appropriate public education, and requires schools to remove barriers to their enrollment, attendance, and success in school.
    Children who qualify for homeless status are fully integrated and not segregated/separated from their housed peers for academic instruction.

    We may be able to help if you or your family live in any of the following situations:

    • Living with a friend, relative, or someone else
    • Staying in a motel or hotel
    • Living in an emergency or transitional shelter or a domestic violence shelter
    • Staying in sub-standard housing
    • Living in a car, park, public place, abandoned building, or a bus/train station
    • Living in a campground or an inadequate trailer home
    • Abandoned in a hospital
    • Living in a runaway or homeless youth shelter


    How can McKinney Vento help you?

    • Enroll and attend in school immediately, even if you lack documents normally required for enrollment
    • Enroll in the school closest to you or the school you were last enrolled in (school of origin), even if you have been forced to relocate
    • Receive transportation to and from your school of origin
    • Participate in before and after school programs
    • Receive counseling
    • Receive free breakfast and lunch
    • Receive school supplies

    This is not an exhaustive list, funds are available to help eliminate barriers and promote academic success. Ask your School Liaison/Counselor for additional information.


    Who qualifies for McKinney Vento?

    Children and youth:

    • Sharing housing due to loss of housing, economic hardship or a similar reason
    • Living in motels, hotels, trailer parks, or camp grounds
    • Living in emergency or transitional shelters
    • Abandoned in hospitals
    • Living in cars, parks, public spaces, abandoned buildings, substandard housing, bus or train stations
    • Migratory children and youth living in any of the above situations


    How to get started:

    Complete the Student Housing Questionnaire (English | Spanish | Russian | Ukrainian) and return to the District Liaison for additional assistance.


    Further Resources:

    Services for Students Experiencing Homeless Brochure (English)

    Services for Students Experiencing Homeless Brochure (Spanish)

    Northeast Pierce County Resource Guide 

    WA State Requirements