Skip To Main Content

Frequently Asked Questions

When should I apply?

You can access the online application system day and night, all year round, so you may submit your application at any time whether there is a position open or not. Then when the position you want is posted, you must select that individual position so your application is attached to that posting.

How can I find out about open positions?

You may view openings (and apply) by visiting our web site: We also post hard copies of positions in each building as well as in the District Office.

May I apply for more than one position?

Certainly, you may apply for any open position for which you are qualified and in which you are interested.

How long is my online application kept active?

Your online application is active for two years from the date your application is received. When you update information in your online application, either via an online electronic update or submission of new information to the HR Department (e.g. new letters of recommendation), your file starts a new two-year period.

If I apply for a position and another similar position opens up after I apply, will I automatically be considered for that second position?

You must apply separately to each posting number. You are advised to watch for new openings and attach your online application to the position of interest that is posted. 

Do I need to come in every time I want to apply for a position?

You do not have to come to Human Resources, but you must have a complete online application on file and attach your online application to the position you wish to be considered for.

When do you interview for positions that are shown as "open until filled"?

As soon as there are sufficient qualified candidates to create an interview pool. With hard-to-fill positions, an interview may be scheduled with only a single qualified candidate if other qualified candidates are not available.

When do you post your open positions?

We post new positions as soon as they are approved, at any time during the year. Most hiring for the following year happens in the spring.

What kind of qualifications do I need to work in the Sumner-Bonney Lake School District?

Each position posting has a list of preferred and/or required qualifications needed to be eligible for that specific position.

What do I need to do to get released from my contract with my current school district employer?

If you have signed a contract with another school district, you must be released before signing a contract with Sumner-Bonney Lake School District. Upon receiving a written offer of employment (Letter of Intent) from the Sumner-Bonney Lake School District, you must request in writing that your current school district release you from your contractual obligation. They will advise you whether you will be released and under what circumstances. You cannot be hired by Sumner until you are released by the other district.

Are you actively recruiting minority applicants and applicants with disabilities?

Yes. As a part of our Employment Affirmative Action Plan and our District goals, we continue to place a major emphasis on attracting, recruiting and hiring qualified minority candidates. We encourage disabled applicants to apply for employment in our District.

What if I need an accommodation to complete the application materials?

To request accommodation during the application process, contact our Human Resources office for assistance at (253) 891-6025.

If I have questions about your equal employment opportunity policies, whom do I contact?

Adrienne Chacón
Director Human Resources
Title IX/RCW 28A.640 Coordinator
1202 Wood Avenue
Sumner, WA 98390
(253) 891-6030

How will I be notified regarding an interview?

You will be notified by telephone when you have been selected to interview for an opening. We prefer to notify candidates several days in advance, but during our peak hiring in the spring and summer, the timeline sometimes gets short, so we appreciate your flexibility.

Will I be able to work in a smoke-free and safe environment?

Yes, our District complies with State law, which prohibits the use of tobacco on any District property. We are committed to providing a tobacco-free environment for all. We also are committed to providing a safe environment, both weapon & drug free.

Do I need to be a citizen of the United States?

We will hire United States citizens and aliens lawfully authorized to work in the United States in accordance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 (Title 8,US Code, Section 1.324A). All new employees are required to complete an Employment Eligibility Verification Form (I-9), issued by the US Immigration and Naturalization Service, which requires documentation to establish this eligibility.

What if I do not have a current state teaching certificate?

Any offer of employment will be contingent upon your holding a valid Washington State Certificate. You may apply for a certificate through the state certification office at:

Office of State Superintendent of Public Instruction
Washington State Certification
Telephone: (360) 725-6400
For questions regarding certification:

If you have further questions, please feel free to ask us at any time! The Human Resources Office telephone number is (253) 891-6025.