Highly Capable Program
(253) 891-6061The Sumner School District defines highly capable students as those who demonstrate, or have the potential to demonstrate, outstanding levels of aptitude (defined as exceptional ability to reason and learn). We recognize and embrace the development of highly capable students and their use and possession of untrained, natural ability (Gagne).Do you have a child, or are a teacher of a student, who performs at significantly advanced academic levels when compared with other students of the same age? Consider referring them for Highly Capable services by completing a Referral Packet for the upcoming school year. There are 2 referral periods each school year. The first referral period occurs in October for Kindergarten students and the second referral period occurs in January for all students.IMPORTANT DATES
KINDERGARDEN REFERRAL PERIOD TIMELINE
- Kindergarten Referral Period for the 2018-19 School Year: Oct. 2-13, 2017
- Highly Capable Services Informational Meeting for the 2018-19 School Year: TBD
- K-12 Referral Period for the 2018-19 School Year: Jan. 8-26, 2018
- Oct. 2-13: Referral period for parents and teachers of kindergarten students. All referrals need to be sumitted to the teacher or to the main office no later than 3:00 p.m. on Oct. 13.
- Oct. 17-Nov. 1: Referred Kindergarten students will take the Cognitive Abilities Screener test at their current school by Oct. 31.
- Nov. 1-17: Referred Kindergarten students will take the Measurement of Academic Progress test at their current school by Nov. 17.
- December: Test scores will be reviewed to determine eligibility and families will be notified.
- January: Eligible Kindergarten students will begin receiving Highly Capable services in their current classroom.
The mission of the Highly Capable Program is to partner with families and community to address the intellectual, social, and emotional needs of highly capable students by providing meaningful and challenging educational experiences.