Update for all high school HYBRID learning families
The following message was sent to high school families on 1/25/2021 who have selected the hybrid learning model:
We thank our families who responded to the Learning Model Selection survey earlier this month. We were able to honor all learning model selection requests for either In-Person Hybrid or Full-Time Distance.
This message outlines these important items that are specific to your child:
- Learning model: In-Person Hybrid or Full-Time Distance
- Second semester schedule: Begins Feb. 2 (regardless of pause of in-person learning)
While we are temporarily pausing the implementation of in-person learning at the secondary (middle and high) level, we will still make routine semester schedule changes. Second semester begins Feb. 2. View your child’s second semester schedule in Family Access.
Important: Until the District is able to begin In-Person Hybrid learning at the secondary level, students will continue with Zoom sessions for periods 1, 3, 5 on Tuesdays and Thursdays and periods 2, 4, 6 on Wednesdays and Fridays. The times remain consistent at 8:30 a.m., 9:30 a.m., and 10:30 a.m. each day. Office hours will continue in the afternoons as well. Students can find links to Zoom sessions in Google Classroom.
Your student is confirmed for Full-Time Distance Learning. They will start a new class schedule for second semester on Feb. 2. Distance learning students in grades 9-12 will attend live Zoom sessions Tuesday-Friday.
What will distance learning look like at the high school level (applies once the District is able to begin Hybrid In-Person learning)?
Distance learning students at the high school level will experience concurrent teaching, which is when a teacher is instructing both in person students and distance learning students at the same time.
For this reason, once schools move to in-person learning, distance learning students in grades 9-12 will attend live Zoom sessions throughout the regular school day Tuesday-Friday:
- Monday: Asynchronous learning all day, all students
- Tuesday: Attend Zoom sessions in periods 1-3
- Wednesday: Attend Zoom sessions in periods 4-6
- Thursday: Attend Zoom sessions in periods 1-3
- Friday: Attend Zoom sessions in periods 4-6
Secondary bell schedule / Support hours
- Bell schedule: Once the District moves to in-person learning at the secondary level, each high school will communicate new Zoom times that align to the school bell schedule. Class sessions will run from 7:25 a.m. - 1:35 p.m.
- Academic support: The school day ends at 1:35 p.m. in order for teachers to provide additional academic support. Teachers will be available for a 45-minute Zoom session to answer questions and offer additional support at the end of each day Tuesday-Friday. Links to this session will be available through each teacher’s Google Classroom.
- Monday office hours: Teachers will have an hour of office support each Monday. Links to these sessions will be available through each teacher’s Google Classroom.
- Advisory: Students will have a 30-minute live Advisory period each Monday morning. Students should look for a Zoom meeting link from their advisory teacher. Each school will send more information on the scheduled time for Advisory.
Thank you for your patience and support as we move into this next phase of learning models for what we hope is the very best experience for your child. If you have questions about your child’s learning model or second semester schedule, please contact your school.
- Bonney Lake High School: BLHS@sumnersd.org, (253) 891-5700 (7 a.m.-3:30 p.m.)
- Sumner High School: SHS@sumnersd.org, (253) 891-5500 (7 a.m.-3:30 p.m.)