The District uses Securly Parent Portal, a web filtering tool offering parental controls and reports on district-issued chromebooks. Securly’s Parent Portal gives parents the ability to view online activity outside of the classroom, such as sites browsed, social media use and activity, and items searched.
Securly sends parents weekly email reports, when you will be able to create an account to receive access to your child’s full online activity history and establish parental controls. The frequency of email reports may vary, as reports are based on outside classroom use. You may unsubscribe from Securly emails at any time.
If you have questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org as schools are not able to assist with Securly Parent Portal questions.
To enter the Parent Portal, click on the "Go to my Parent Portal" link, or the “sign up” link at the bottom of your weekly email. You will be asked to check two boxes and then click “Yes, please set up my account.” Once you do this, you will receive an email with login and password information. After you set up your account, you can enter the Parent Portal any time by going to www.securly.com and clicking on “login.”
The Parent Portal contains three categories on the left from which you can choose:
- Activity (shows a real-time audit trail of your child's online activity)
- Flagged (shows posts made on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+ that have been flagged by Securly as potentially related to self-harm or bullying)
- Settings (allows you to control content on the device at home only)
If you have questions about the Securly Parent Portal, email email@example.com. Your school is unable to assist with Securly-related questions.
Here’s where you can opt out of emails from Securly.
Q & A
Why am I receiving this email?
- Sumner-Bonney Lake School District has partnered with Securly to provide an online student safety solution.
- Weekly activity emails provide snapshots of your child’s internet use at home.
- The emails you receive can help start conversations around various topics, including education, online safety and peer pressure.
The District registered my email, but I still haven’t received a link. What happened?
- Allow 24 hours from the estimated arrival date before determining whether an email has gone missing.
- Be sure to check your Spam/Junk folder for an email from Securly.com
- If you’ve waited 24 hours and checked your spam folder, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Why did the “Your child _______’s activity report” email I receive say “Not enough data?”
- This means the minimum amount of activity required to generate an email hasn’t been reached. To see if there has been activity on the device, access the Parent Portal by clicking the blue button at the bottom of the email.
Where is my child’s online activity monitored?
- The District monitors activity while at school during school hours.
- Securly monitors activity at home and at all locations outside of the classroom, such as Starbucks, McDonalds or any other location with Wi-Fi.
How do I setup my Parent Portal account?
- Parents can’t register their own email with Securly. The District must register your email.
- The email from Securly will read “Your Child ______’s Activity Report” in the subject line. Once open, either click on “go to my parent portal” or “sign up for Securly, it’s free.” Then, complete the check boxes to be directed to the portal.
What is in the “Flagged” section?
- Flagged sites: If a student accesses a suspicious site, Securly flags it.
- Flagged keywords: Securly has a list of words that are marked as “Suspicious.” If a student searches it on Google, Bing, Yahoo, YouTube or Wiki, Securly flags them.
Should I question or be concerned about everything I see on the Securly report?
- No, not necessarily. Some key words that could raise concerns may in fact be legitimate research for a class project. For example, there are educational resources from YouTube. This could encourage conversation with your child asking about specific topics for class work.
Is there a way to create a customized report that takes off certain items?
- No. It’s an automatic report.
What do I do if I get an alert that is cause for concern?
- Every alert is unique and should be addressed accordingly and appropriately.
- For emergencies, always call 911.
- For concerns or information regarding self-harm, call the National Suicide Prevention Hotline at 1-800-273-8255.
I have multiple kids. How do I determine which item in the Activity tab belongs to which child?
- The child's email address is listed beside each item in the activity feed, and is in chronological order.
- To see an individual child’s activity, type their email address into the search bar at the top and hit enter.
How can I add an email address to my child’s account?
- For safety reasons, only the District is authorized to register emails.
Who else sees the information contained in the Portal and the weekly email?
- The District’s network administrator has access to all records.
- District staff members can be delegated access to pull records, if necessary.
- The District will provide you with a list of which parents or guardians have access, if verification is needed.
How is the information in the email/Parent Portal collected?
- Securly monitors your child’s online activity while at home.
- A web filter records which sites were allowed or blocked.
- This information is shared by the District and stored for data analysis to increase Securly’s effectiveness.