Career & Technical Education
Career and Technical Education (CTE) supports young adults as they develop as students, workers, and lifelong learners. CTE prepares students for a range of careers, requiring varying levels of education, from high school to postsecondary certificates to two- and four-year college degrees. It's high school and college education that provides students with:
- Academic subject matter taught with relevance to the real world.
- Workplace readiness skills, from job-related skills to workplace ethics.
- Career Pathways (Programs of Study) help students explore interests and careers.
In Sumner-Bonney Lake, Career Pathways (Programs of Study) help students find their passion and guide students' course selections through their education so they are career and life ready. This planning begins in middle school and continues to be expanded or changed throughout high school. By connecting curriculum to interests and skills, students are well-prepared for life after high school.
Career Readiness Cords
Students have the opportunity to earn a Career Readiness Cord to be worn at graduation. To qualify, students must have earned 2.0 credits in a Career & Technical Education program area.
- Agricultural Marketing and Communications I & II
- Animal Anatomy and Physiology I & II
- AP Environmental Science
- Biology (Ag Focus)
- IB Environmental Systems & Societies SL I & II
- Plant Science & Greenhouse Management
- Veterinary Science
Business & Marketing
- Accounting I & II
- AP Computer Science A
- AP Computer Science Principles
- AP Statistics
- Creative Design I & II
- Entrepreneurship (Start your own business)
- Financial Algebra
- IB Business and Management HL
- Intro to Business and Marketing (IBAM)
- Intro to Programming (JAVA)
- Intro to Programming through Game Design
- Microsoft Office Certification I, II, III, IV
- Project Management
- Retail Management (Student Store Operations)
- Sports, Recreation & Entertainment Marketing
Family & Consumer Sciences
- Advanced Culinary Arts
- Career and Community Connections
- Careers with Children
- Child Care Practicum I, II, III
- Child Development
- Culinary Arts
- Independent Living
- Intro to Culinary Arts
- Nutrition and Fitness
- Personal Choices
- Teaching Academy
- Addiction and the Brain – Biology 100
- Biology (Health Science focus)
- Medical Science I
Skilled Trades & Technical Sciences
- Advanced Yearbook
- Architecture I & II
- Broadcast Production I & II
- Broadcast Associate
- Computer Animation
- Core Plus Aerospace
- Digital Photography I & II
- IB Film HL Production I & II
- Intro to Broadcasting
- Journalistic Writing
- Webmaster Associate
- Aerospace Engineering (PLTW)
- Computer Integrated Manufacturing (PLTW)
- Intro to Engineering Design (PLTW)
- Principles of Engineering (PLTW)
- Robotics I
- Technology Foundations (PLTW)
Today’s graduates must be prepared for postsecondary education and to enter a highly competitive workforce. Our Career and Technical Education (CTE) courses provide students with rigorous content that connects education and industry standards while learning and applying 21st Century Skills. Industry Recognized Certificates (IRC) are one of the many ways Sumner-Bonney Lake CTE programs prepare students to graduate career, college, and life ready! These certificates indicate that students have demonstrated the knowledge and skills employers are looking for in their future employees. Through CTE programs students are able to prepare for life success beyond high school graduation.
Sumner-Bonney Lake School District Career and Technical Education programs need Business/Educator Partnerships to prepare students to be career and college ready. Your involvement will make a difference to a student. Thank you for your support! Please click here to apply.
Additional information about educational planning is available at:
- Bonney Lake High School Career and Information Center
- Sumner High School Career Center
- District's Career and College Readiness Office, (253) 891-6062
- OSPI website
Interested in being part of the CTE Advisory Committee? Click here for more information.
Mission: Equipping students with the employability and academic skills necessary to be successful in the changing workforce and the ability to live a purposeful life in a global society as a passionate, productive, life-long learner.
Vision: Bridging the gap between academics and career.
We Value: Leadership | Learning | Partnerships | Professional Growth | Relationships | Relevance | Rigor | Technology | Work Ethic
Follow CTE on Social Media