A five-year old with the following skills is ready to succeed at school! If you're a parent or caregiver of a child age birth to 5, Sumner-Bonney Lake School District offers a free program that provides tools to help you prepare your child for kindergarten. The program, called READY! for Kindergarten, teaches important information specific to your child’s age on how they learn, grow. You'll also receive essential take-home tools and activities to make learning easy and fun. Find more information.
Letters and sounds
- Enjoys being read to and can retell a story
- Recognizes and names 10-15 alphabet letters and their sounds
- Repeats beginning and ending sounds in words
- Speaks in complete sentences
- Prints his or her first name
- Counts in order from 1 to 20
- Recognizes number and quantities to 5
- Names and sorts items by colors, shape and size
- Understands concepts such as more, less, same, above, below, big and small
Reading aloud 20 minutes a day helps your child master these skills.
- Settles into new groups or situations
- Can concentrate on a task for 5 minutes
- Follows simple directions
- Shows kindness and concern for others