Superintendent's Messages

  • September Message

    Posted by Laurie Dent at 9/7/2017

    Welcome to a new school year in the Sumner School District!

     

    I'm especially eager to get this year started with a renewed and measurable focus on graduation. As we enter into the second year of our four-year strategic plan, VISION 2020, the goal is to achieve a 100 percent graduation rate in time and with a continued focus. With the District’s reputation for high student achievement, and with a supportive and involved community, we can meet this goal!

     

    From preschool through high school, we are committed to the personal success of every child.   Last year, we celebrated 88 percent of our seniors who graduated with a high school diploma, but I can't stop thinking about the remaining 12 percent, or 95 kids, that didn't. The high school diploma offers so many opportunities for our students and opens many doors for graduates. From dreams of becoming diesel mechanics to neurosurgeons, the opportunities for our students are endless. Whether you’re a Daffodil Valley Dolphin, Lakeridge Hawk or Bonney Lake Panther ﹘ our students will go on to do great things and make a difference in our community and around the world.

     

    As we journey into the future, we can’t do it alone.  Staff, parents, community members ﹘ everyone plays a part in helping a student “turn that tassel.” The biggest way you can help us right now is supporting students in coming to school every day ﹘ on time ﹘ and prepared for class. The connection between attendance and high school graduation is a critical part of student success. Research shows that missing 18 days (or more) of school each year negatively affects academic performance.

     

    So let’s do this together and get our kids ready to graduate from high school, even starting in preschool. Your encouragement and support provides opportunities for our students to excel and be the best they can be. I’m confident this renewed push to get all kids to school ﹘ on time, every day ﹘ will result in every student crossing the graduation stage prepared for life. Let’s focus on turning the tassel together!

    Comments (-1)

Recent

By Month