Greetings Falcon Families and Happy New Year!
Well, we definitely have rung in the new year with some very cold weather. Thank you for sending your children to school with warm coats, hats, gloves, etc. When the sun is shining, we rarely keep students inside for recess due to cold temperatures unless the wind chill and/or falling branches/trees would make things potentially unsafe for the students (which was the case during last week's unexpected wind storm on Wednesday). The long range forecast for daytime high temperatures in January remains quite cold so students will be bundling up at recess. This may result in the "layers" sometimes being left at school. If you find an item does not come home with your student, please encourage him/her to check the lost & found coat rack right inside the interior lobby doors on the left (NEW spot for lost & found so that students can see the items quickly and easily). We will continue to place any hats, mittens, and small misc. clothing items in the lost & found cabinet in the MPR.
To start us off all on the same page for the new year, I thought it would be helpful to send out some information/reminders to support school safety. We have quite a few NEW families that have joined our Falcon family this past fall so this may be a review for most but new information for others.
Safety Tip #1: Drop off & Pick Up
1. The student drop off time begins at 8:10am on M,T,Th,F and 9:45 on Wednesdays. The INTERIOR lobby doors open at 8:10 for students to enter the MPR and get seated for our Morning Meeting (M/T/Th/Fri) and 9:45 on Wednesdays. We have had an increasing number of students being dropped off at school as early as 7:30 and 7:45 am on regular start days and 9:00 am on Wednesdays and left to wait in an unsupervised setting.
2. NOTE: The EXTERIOR front doors to the school will NOT open until 8:00 am M,T,Th,F and 9:35 am on Wednesdays. For student safety, it is VERY important that students not be dropped off at school prior to 8:00/9:35 am or they will be standing outside until the doors unlock at 8:00/9:35 am. If you happen to arrive at school prior to 8:00/9:35 am, PLEASE have your child(ren) remain in the car with you until the exterior doors unlock.This is something that will be reinforced as we move through the remainder of the school year as there is no supervision for students prior to this time. If a child is dropped off prior to 8:00/9:35 am and is left to wait outside the school unsupervised, parents will be notified by the building secretary as a reminder to ensure student safety. Thank you for your continued support.
3. The tardy bell rings at 8:25am and the interior doors of the lobby lock for the safety and security of our students. If you arrive with your child at 8:25 or later, please park and walk him/her into the office and sign your child in. They will be given a tardy slip and the doors will be unlocked for your child to enter school.
4. Because our Morning Meeting starts at 8:18, it is strongly encouraged that you drop your children off by 8:15 so they can get seated/situated with their class in order to be ready for our all school meeting. This meeting concludes at 8:25 when the tardy bell rings and teachers walk their students to class.
5. On Wednesday Late Start days, the interior lobby doors open at 9:45. For the safety and security of your children, please do not drop them off prior to 9:35. The tardy bell rings at 10:00 so if you arrive at 10:00 or later, please park and walk your child into the office to sign in.
Safety Tip #2: Updating Family Access
Please confirm that all address and emergency contact information is correct in Skyward. This is VERY important to ensure the safety of your children at Victor Falls. The office staff creates an "emergency release/reunification" binder based on the page they print for each child from Skyward. The phone numbers are crucial in the event of an emergency as these are the numbers that are connected to our Skylert emergency notification system. PLEASE plan on logging into Family Access/Skyward to update your information. For easy access, you can click on the link below. I have also included a link to the pdf to walk you through the process for updating information.
NOTE: If you would like a blank hard copy "information update" form instead, please do not hesitate to contact our building secretary (Anngie Woodward). She will gladly send it home with your student so that you can fill it out and return it to the school. You are also welcome to drop by our office to get a copy, if needed.
Link to Skylert/Family Access:
Safety Tip #3: VFE Safety Committee
1. We are in the process of forming a Victor Falls Safety Committee that includes parent volunteers. We will be reviewing our reunification process in the event of an emergency and refining protocols to maximize the safety for students and adults at VFE.
2. If you have a background as an emergency responder (police, firefighter, EMT, medical, etc.), please contact me if you are interested in being a part of the safety committee.
Nuts & Bolts to keep us all on the same page:
1. With the cold and flu season upon us, please review the link below containing the Sumner School District guidelines from our school health technician (Judy Taylor) on "when to keep your child home." If your child does need to stay home for any reason, for any pre-arranged/planned absences, or if your child will be arriving late to school, please call or email Mrs.Taylor as soon as possible so that she can document this in our attendance system. NOTE: If a parent/guardian does not contact Mrs. Taylor, their child's absence will remain unexcused in the system. Thank you in advance for your understanding.
To leave a message on Mrs. Taylor's voice message: (253) 891-4708
To email: email@example.com
When to Keep Home.pdf
2. January is the month for a review of any concerns we have with student attendance and tardies. If your child has had a significant number of absences or tardies on record during the months of Sept.-Dec., you may be receiving a letter in the mail from the school this coming week. The letter is designed to communicate how important attendance is to student success at school. The data shows that the academic rigor involved with our new state standards and school curriculums make the cumulative effect of good school attendance crucial to overall successful long-term graduation rates. If you receive a letter regarding your child and have questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to call me.
Upcoming Events at VFE
1. 1/11 -- Color Splash Day
2. 1/16 -- MLK Day...NO school
3. 1/24 -- Jump Rope for Heart kick-off
4. 2/8 -- Pink & Red Out Twin Day
5. 2/16 -- Jump Rope for Heart event...5:00-6:00pm
6. 2/17 & 2/10 -- NO school for Presidents Day weekend
Finally, this past Thursday and Friday we reviewed our PBIS Falcon Expectations as a whole school...Be Safe, Be Respectful, and Be Responsible. Please ask your child about this as well as what incentives are in place for positive behaviors at Victor Falls. :) Thank you for your continued support of our school community. As a reminder, our Falcon Character Trait for the month of January is "self discipline" so please share with us how your child shows "self discipline" by filling out the optional homework page. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions on anything in this newsletter.
Stay safe and warm! :)
Mrs. Scheerer, Principal